FOX 66 News at Ten
SEATTLE -- An Edmonds man who recently exposed a flaw in Google Maps says he was questioned by the Secret Service after his latest stunt.
Brian Seely admits he spent years creating fake business listings on Google Maps for profit.
"I've personally worked on and seen over 50,000 fake businesses," he said.
The fake listings can be used for criminal purposes, and Google's verification process can't stop it.
"I'm trying to draw attention to the fact that millions of people in
this country are calling businesses that are not really there," Seely
Seely upped the ante this week when he used the same flaw to eavesdrop on phone calls to the Secret Service and FBI.
He said he created fake Google Map listings using real information for
the Secret Service field office in Washington DC and an FBI office in
San Francisco. But instead of listing the real office numbers, he
replaced them with his own phone number.
That number forwarded incoming calls to the real Secret Service phone
number, while he stayed on the conversation as a silent third party. He
also recorded the conversations.
"This way when someone calls, someone from the Secret Service actually
picks up and I'm in on the phone call recording both sides," he said.
"This is a massive problem."
Seely said he eventually took the information -- and recordings -- to the Secret Service.
"I went into the Secret Service office and said, 'Hey, this is what I
did,'" he said. "He was not happy. They grabbed a couple of people,
they patted me down, searched my bag, read me my rights."
After four hours of questioning, Seely said he was allowed to leave.
A Seattle-based Secret Service agent confirmed Seely's account of the
story and said the Secret Service has contacted investigators with
Google to fix the problem.
Google has not returned calls for comment on the story.
Monday, March 3 2014, 01:53 PM EST
National News Headlines
|Tofu turkeys get Thanksgiving pardons in Seattle|
|Seattle Mayor Ed Murray pardoned a soybean-based roast Friday|
|In interview, Darren Wilson says there was 'no way' Michael Brown had his hands up during shooting|
|The Ferguson, Mo. police officer who shot and killed an unarmed black teenager in August said in an interview aired on Tuesday that there was "no way" Michael Brown had his hands up right before he was killed -- disputing one of the core controversies at the heart of a case that touched off nationwide protests and racial unrest.|
|Flushed, but not without success: Diligent sewer workers restore heirloom ring to Oregon woman|
|Pat Hanson of Central Point says she's lost about 10 pounds recently, an aftereffect of a fall, and noticed in church earlier this month that her mother's wedding ring was loose on her finger.|
|Canadian arrested in US crackdown on rhinoceros horns trafficking pleads guilty in New York|
|A Canadian antiques dealer swept up in a U.S. crackdown on illegal trafficking in rhinoceros horns has pleaded guilty in New York to a wildlife smuggling charge.|
|Denver mom who faked son's cancer gets probation|
|A judge ordered Sandy Nguyen, of Aurora, to start serving 90 days of work release in two weeks.|
|Ferguson grand jurors heard much testimony about key 'tussle' at police officer's vehicle|
|Some witnesses called it a tussle.|
|Opposition to Common Core spurs jump in homeschooling|
|Several states have seen a rise in the number of students being pulled out of the classrooms by their parents in favor of homeschooling and the reason may be partly due to their opposition to Common Core standards.|
|New indictment drops homicide charge against NY mom accused of neglecting 8-year-old daughter|
|A New York special-education teacher who was accused of killing her severely disabled daughter by neglecting her is no longer facing a homicide charge.|
|Ohio attorney suspended as female clients say he secretly hypnotized them for sexual pleasure|
|A Cleveland-area attorney accused of hypnotizing women for his sexual pleasure has been immediately suspended by the state Supreme Court.|
|Tsarnaev's lawyers lose bid for information about his brother in 2011 triple slaying case|
|A federal judge has turned down a request from lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR' tsahr-NEYE'-ehv) seeking evidence about his older brother's possible participation in a 2011 triple killing.|