FOX 66 News at Ten
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has once again awarded a grant to the State of Michigan to address hunger issues experienced by low-income children in the state during the summertime.
"We need to use every means possible to ensure that kids don't go hungry when they aren't in school," said State School Superintendent Mike Flanagan. "Finding the best ways to keep our kids healthy, fed and secure will lead to smarter and more productive students in our classrooms."
Michigan expects to have more than $800,000 in federal funds to continue the Summer Electronic Benefit Transfer for Children demonstration project, which began in the summer of 2011. This year's grant will allow the 10,600 students who received food benefits during the 2012 summer to continue to receive a food package valued at $60 per month for June, July and August.
The grant will be administered by a collaborative partnership between the Michigan Department of Education and the Michigan Department of Community Health - Women, Infants, and Children division. This summer food benefit will help low-income families supplement their food budgets when school breakfast and school lunch meals are not readily available.
The $60 and the $30 monthly food package per student per month will be delivered to families by an electronic benefit transfer card system existing through the State of Michigan WIC program.
This pilot project will benefit children in the Grand Rapids Public School District, Bay-Arenac Intermediate School District, Clare-Gladwin Regional Education Service District, Midland County Educational Service Agency and the Tuscola Intermediate School District areas.
In addition, another 28,000 low-income students will be randomly selected to receive either the $60 per month food package or a $30 per month food package. These additional children will be from the following areas:
- Bay-Arenac Intermediate School District
- Clare-Gladwin Regional Education Service District
- Midland County Educational Service Agency
- Tuscola Intermediate School District
"Low-income children are at a heightened risk for food insecurity in the summer months, when schools are closed and many low-income children find it difficult to get the healthy nutrition they need," USDA Under Secretary Kevin Concannon said. "These projects offer a wonderful opportunity to build on the success of the Summer Food Service Program and explore new ways to combat childhood hunger."
The demonstration projects will be studied and evaluated by USDA, providing critical information about the impact of these projects in the fight against hunger among our students during the summer months.
For more information on the SEBTC program, click here: http://www.sebtc-mi.com/
Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Broadcasting). All rights reserved.
Wednesday, February 6 2013, 08:43 AM EST
National News Headlines
|Susan Powell's dad gets private eye to review file|
|Police say they've taken their best shot at finding missing Utah mother Susan Powell.|
|Parents face tough choice when tornadoes bear down|
|Parents in a suburban Oklahoma City school district received a text message as an ominous tornado approached.|
|Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces|
|The residents of Moore, Okla., affected by a deadly tornado are coming back to find their belongings scattered and their homes left in pieces.|
|Jodi Arias pleads for life term as jury considers death penalty|
Jodi Arias begged jurors Tuesday to give her life in prison, saying she "lacked perspective" when she told a local reporter in an interview that she preferred execution to spending the rest of her days in jail.
|Officials say Benghazi suspects under surveillance|
|Five men are under round-the-clock U.S. surveillance in Libya, wanted for questioning in the attack last year on the diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.|
|Maine man charged in death of missing teen|
|A 15-year-old girl found dead in woods north of Bangor knew the man charged with killing her, her best friend said, contrary to early reports that before her disappearance she'd headed outside her Glenburn home to see someone she recently met on Facebook.|
|Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview|
|In a surprise jailhouse interview just hours after a jury began deliberating her fate, Jodi Arias spoke out Tuesday about her murder trial, her many fights with her legal team and her belief that she "deserves a second chance at freedom someday." Arias spoke to The Associated Press as part of a series of interviews with media outlets that she selected.|
|Up to 30 injured after bus, car collide in northwest Ohio|
The Highway Patrol says up to 30 people have suffered injuries in the collision of a commercial bus and a car on Interstate 75 in northwest Ohio.
|Coast Guardsman who admits desertion to be confined, discharged|
A Coast Guard rescue swimmer whose disappearance led to a massive search in Hawaii pleaded guilty to desertion Tuesday, saying he left work one day, decided never to return and spent the next three months camping in the mountains. A military judge sentenced him to more than six months confinement and a bad conduct discharge.
|Federal safety panel claims ATF blocking probe into Texas plant blast|
In a May 17 letter to Sen. Barbara Boxer, U.S. Chemical Safety Board Chairman Rafael Moure-Eraso asked the California Democrat to help the board obtain evidence under control of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that he contends is essential to the board's investigation.